What Type of Food Should People Choose?
The type of food that people eat is just as important as the amount. Canada's Food Guide provides direction on specific foods to choose within each food group. Guidance to direct people's choices includes:
- Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day.
- Have vegetables and fruit more often than juice.
- Make at least half of your grain products whole grain each day.
- Drink skim, 1% or 2% milk each day.
- Have meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu often.
- Eat at least two Food Guide Servings of fish each week.
- Include a small amount of unsaturated fat each day.
- Satisfy your thirst with water.
In addition, Canada's Food Guide encourages people to choose foods lower in fat, sugar and salt. Guidance to support these choices includes:
- Choose vegetables and fruit prepared with little or no added fat, sugar or salt.
- Choose grain products that are lower in fat, sugar or salt.
- Select lower fat milk alternatives.
- Select lean meat and alternatives prepared with little or no added fat or salt.
- Limit foods and beverages high in calories, fat, sugar, or salt.